Sunday, September 12, 2010

Welcome to the Marcus Lattimore Show

The outcome…disappointment! I will gladly admit that one of my biggest flaws is that I am a very, very sore loser. I don’t like the word lose. I don’t like the way it sounds and I am not very accepting of its reality. That being said, it is hard to write about a loss. Especially when you have to accept one that most people predicted would determine the outcome of your season! However, I know that in football, as in life, you win some and you lose some. I am still a proud Bulldog and a true believer that “every Dawg has his day.” Saturday was not our day!

The Offense

I am still proud of Aaron Murray but I really want to see a better passing game. Quit with the conservative crap. I mean I understand that we are missing a key player in our passing game but give your other guys a shot. Murray has an arm…let him use it more! Kris Durham proved his ability completing a 55 yard pass, giving us great field position. That did not last long. The pivotal turning point of the game came when Washaun Ealey fumbled the ball giving South Carolina’s Stephon Gilmore the chance to pick it up on the 1 yard line. WOW-that hurt us! Overall, offensively we need to stop playing it so safe! We need to be able to counter-act the other No. 21’s of the SEC. Saturday we were simply not able to make up for the defenses mistakes; therefore, this game was lost because we were physically outplayed-both offensively and defensively!

The Defense

Who knew South Carolina's Offense doubles as the Basketball team too! When you have a line up between 6’2 and 6’5 you already have a head start! Defensively, we did a terrible job at wrapping up! Justin Houston actually showed up to play with sacks and a forced fumble, but he seemed like the only one! Going into halftime I was still confident that all we needed was a good pick me up in order to adjust. Note to the defense (post half-time): No. 21 played the entire game! Yes, believe it or not they were still giving the ball to him just about every time! Marcus Lattimore carried for a total of 37 times and accounted for 2 rushing TD’s for the Gamecocks. This guy is ridiculously talented. Not to mention that he is a true freshman who will prove to be one of the best SEC players for years to come!

Special Teams

I don’t have much to say. Unfortunately, we did not take advantage of your assistance. Accounting for all 6 of our points, Blair Walsh continues to be accurate and dependable. Thanks for not letting us get shut out!

Georgia finished with 253 yards while giving up 354 to the Gamecocks. This SEC match up has been and was a very physical and low scoring game. Am I surprised by the outcome? Yes! Am I hopeful that we can overcome this loss? Most definitely! You play, learn, win & lose and you move forward. The past is the past and now mental and physical preparation for next week must begin. Arkansas is known for their high scoring offense so let’s hope that we make some much needed adjustments on both sides this week in order to prepare!

Lastly, I will have to give Spurrier credit on one thing and one thing alone. He is doing a much better job at hanging onto his visor. I mean it definitely comes off but he seems to contain the act of throwing it. Instead he can’t hang onto his headset. Thank you ESPN for the instant replay – you made my day!

1 comment:

  1. You are right, Saturday was such a disappointment! I felt like we kept doing the same conservative plays over and over again and I don't know why because they weren't really working! Despite the loss, I really have been impressed by Murray, too! Going into this season, I was really worried about the freshman Quarterback situation but I think he is doing just fine! We will be alright if the team as a whole can get it together!

    ReplyDelete