Sunday, September 5, 2010

It's Saturday....In Athens!!!


The heat, early start, and new North Campus regulations did not stop UGA tailgaters from being out and about at their finest. Whether you like our dedication to 7am
wake-up calls, the fact that we come dressed in our “Sunday Best” or our ability to be loud and obnoxious yet oh so charming at the same time; there is no denying that UGA football season and tailgating is back and better than ever!

Let’s Review:

The Offensive

A very impressive debut for the RFr. Aaron Murray. For the most part he was accurate and protected, and in the event that those two adjectives failed, smart and speedy would be applicable. His ability to redirect when things fell apart in the pocket impressed the Bulldog nation. Why so comfortable you might ask? He is protected thanks to his Offensive Line and that is showing on the field! I am going to highlight senior FB Shaun Chapas. His blocking, as usual, was exceptional, but today he was even able to grab a TD pass! Props to the true freshman back-up QB, Hutson Mason! It was a day for debuts all around as he made his in the 3rd Quarter connecting for a 26 yard TD pass to Logan Gray. The impressive display by the offense, even without A.J. Green, makes me very hopeful for the season ahead!

The Defense

Let it be known that I was never a fan of Willie Martinez so I welcome Todd Grantham with open arms! It was time for a change and change is what I saw! Three interceptions…way to look out Brandon Boykin, Jakar Hamilton and Sanders Commings. I could call each player out but seriously they all played well! In general, a good job on tackles and getting after the QB! While talent is a key component in success, so is good coaching. That being said, I cannot help but believe that Grantham is doing an excellent job!

Special Teams

Who was not impressed? With the exception of the shaky start, I am very impressed with the talent that consumes our special teams. Having Blair Walsh and Drew Butler on the same team is possibly the best combination that you could dream up. Walsh connected on FGs of 52 and 48 yards while Butler averaged 46.7 yards for his 6 punts. New to the role of PR, I was most impressed with Branden Smith. He held onto the football very well and made some smart decisions-whether gaining yards or fair catches! KO returner Brandon Boykin, as always, did his thing on the field with a 31 yard return. While the additional points were not needed to win the game, their demonstration of skill was just a sneak preview, and in my opinion something that will prove to be needed as we meet SEC rivals!

I can say with full confidence that there is no place on this planet that I would have rather been than in Sanford Stadium this past Saturday! Yes, I am suffering from voice loss, exhaustion, and a pretty attractive tan line, but those are just a small price to pay to enjoy being a senior at the University of Georgia. So I leave you with this football fans, “And now a new breed of bulldog stands ready to take the field of battle; to assume the reigns of their Georgia forbearers and continue that tradition understanding that there is no tradition more worth of envy, no institution worthy of such loyalty, as the University of Georgia."

Welcome back football season! YOU HAVE BEEN MISSED!

GOOO DAWGS!!!!

3 comments:

  1. You certainly know your football, Emily! I agree, I was impressed by what I saw on Saturday and I hope we can keep it up when we play teams more challenging than Louisiana Lafayette!

    Go Dawgs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good! Just reading your blog gets me excited about Georgia football.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture in the background! And I am so pumped for all the Saturdays to come and the Sundays so that I can read your blog!

    ReplyDelete