Sunday, September 19, 2010

Quit being a fair weather fan

Ok so I am frustrated. The funny thing is I am probably more frustrated with our fans than I am the team. Attention to all fair weather male UGA football fans: The Bulldogs will be hosting walk-on tryouts this week for all of you who think you are so much better than the players on the field. Ok, so I’m kidding, but give the team a break. I mean all I heard was “I could have made that play” and “OMG I so could have caught that pass”. Well, if you think you can then why exactly are you sitting in the stands? Yes, that is what I thought. You’re probably not as good as you think you are. If you want to watch a dedicated, winning team then maybe try becoming a dedicated fan and in turn you will become a winning one too! They still need our support as much as ever and still deserve recognition for their hard work. I am proud of the atmosphere of the team. They had their game faces on and wanted to win. They overcame a lot during the second half and despite the loss, I am still proud.



Ryan Mallet proved to be the true leader of the Arkansas offense. I will give him props because he truly is a great football player. He is smart, quick, accurate and incredibly tall. He looks one way and then bombs it the complete other direction. However, all of you who think they will give Alabama a run for it this weekend….sorry, I disagree. Aaron Murray is still doing great in my opinion. He completed 15 of 27 passes for 253 yards. He has an amazing arm and honestly I had hopes his last minute “hail mary” would have completed. He spent a little extra time in the pocket on that last shot but the sack was unnecessary and avoidable. O Line: please protect him. We cannot afford to lose him. I said last week that even though we were without a key offensive player I wanted to see some other guys have a chance because I knew it was in them. They proved me right. Kris Durham caught 5 passes for 101 yards and Tavarres King caught four passes for 91 yards. Leading the Dawgs in rushing yards, Washaun Ealey produced 87 yards on 18 carries and pulled one in for a touchdown.



Defensively I am still worried. I think most would agree with me that Mallet is a great QB but that does not excuse the missed opportunities on our part. I don’t have much to say besides the fact that I hope adjustments are made. This brings me back to the majority of our fans. Quit saying we are losing because of our defense or because we are without A.J. Green. Most football fans don’t view competitive cheerleading as an actual sport but in my experience we always won as a team and we lost as a team. If you are part of a team then you share victory and defeat. So defense, it is not your fault entirely.



All in all I wish things would have ended differently but they didn’t. You take a loss and you learn from it. You make adjustments and you move forward. There is always one positive to next week. THE BULLDOGS WILL WIN! I just hope it’s my Dawgs and not Mississippi State’s.



There are some certainties I can assure you. I still love football. I am still a Bulldog. I will not ever be a fair weather fan and even when we lose there is still no place I would rather watch a football game from than Sanford Stadium.


2 comments: