Sunday, October 31, 2010

Heartbroken

Saturday was not the day I expected in Jacksonville. Despite the 34-31 loss, this was by far the most fun, exciting, loud, intense and insane game that I have ever attended. The student section was more fun than imaginable and I loved every minute up until the overtime mishap. My senior year will go down in history as the first time in GA/FL record that the teams have needed OT to determine a winner. Someone had to win and someone had to lose, I just hate that the Dawgs took the latter.


I’m not going to break the game down like usual. It’s simply too hard to relive. There were really good play calls and really poor decisions. There were really good defensive moments with tackles and pressure along with several missed opportunities. I will not point any single player out this week. You win as a team and lose as a team and this unfortunate loss is not one persons fault.


I said from the beginning that this was our game to lose and that we did. The game should not have gone into overtime in the first place but it did. The 3rd down play called in OT should not have been called but it was. The zebras should have thrown a holding penalty on that same 3rd down in OT but they didn’t! Focusing on the “what ifs” will do no good though and harping on this loss is a waste of time. We have another game next week and I for one will be happy to be back in Sanford Stadium.


After being mathematically eliminated from the SEC East race the new question is: Can we make it to a bowl game? To become eligible for a bowl we must win 2 of our next 3 games - one of which we will meet the #2 ranked Auburn Tigers (or War Eagles – forgive them they’re confused). I’m hoping the boys learn from their mistakes, move forward and find themselves playing in a bowl game. The season is not over so let’s not act like it is.


I would still rather LOSE A BULLDOG than Win a Gator any day!

1 comment:

  1. I feel the title...completely!! I'm glad you enjoyed the time you had and love the optimism at the end. Big smiles in the hard times is what true fans do!!

    ReplyDelete